With a little effort, you can switch to the Mediterranean diet, an eating regimen diet that nurtures your health effectively. The Mediterranean diet includes heart-healthy foods that people from Greece, Spain, France, and Italy tend to eat. It is believed that people from this region live longer due to this very healthy diet. Moreover, this diet is great if you want to prevent high cholesterol, triglycerides, heart attacks, and strokes.
Since the Mediterranean diet is diverse and includes a variety of foods, the results may not be the same for everyone. The results could differ depending on your genetic factors and personal preferences. It is advisable to consult a doctor before starting this diet plan, but known benefits include:
- People who follow the diet lose a considerable amount of weight in the initial stage.
- It helps to control blood sugar levels.
- People following this diet are not prone to any sort of hip fractures.
- The antioxidants present in such foods help improve mental health.
Tips to follow the Mediterranean diet are as follows:
1. Start eating whole foods
Starting the Mediterranean diet can be challenging if you are habituated to fast and processed foods. However, gradually, you may get accustomed to a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat enough fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, tubers, herbs and spices, whole grains, and seafood. You can cook these with olive oil.
- Consume eggs and dairy products, like cheese and yogurt, in moderation.
- Include fish and red meat once a week.
- Considerable amounts of tea and coffee is acceptable. Moreover, a glass of red wine a day is advised.
2. Go organic
Since this diet focuses on natural and healthy foods, it is advised to refrain from eating processed foods. Instead, choose organic products.
- Avoid eating food that has added sugars, like candies, chocolates, and carbonated drinks.
- Avoid refined grains.
- Exclude foods that are rich in trans fats.
- Processed meat, refined oils, and ready-made diet foods in any form is frowned upon.
- Avoid drinking readymade juices, as they contain excessive amounts of sugar.
3. Eat like a Greek
Adjusting to the Mediterranean diet can be difficult, especially if you have a busy schedule. But its benefits are innumerable and can change your life. If you find yourself back-sliding to your old eating habits, here are a few tips to help you out.
- Conversing with your loved ones while eating is a good idea to relieve stress.
- Eating with others will restrict you to eat less.
- Do not watch TV or use an electronic device while eating your meals.
- Sharing meals and cooking with either your neighbors or friends can help you expand your social life.
It is clear that the Mediterranean diet is a healthy diet and anyone following it can see the difference it makes. This diet keeps you miles away from life-threatening lifestyle diseases. Additionally, it ranks high worldwide compared to most recommended low-fat diets.